Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi there we have a nearly 6 year old XXXXX XXXXX he is a typical

Customer Question

Hi there we have a nearly 6 year old XXXXX XXXXX he is a typical XXXXX XXXXXvely very protective and sometimes loveable. My question is how can we stop him barking incessantly when anyone visits us I have bought a collar that sprays a lemon smell that dogs are not supposed to like but our Oska just carries on barking through it we at the end of out tethers with him can you help please.....
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation...I know this can be very frustrating.

Most of this is caused by lack of obedience and it is very important that you take Oska back to an obedience school and do thsi training so that when he does something that is not good, he will listen to the "Quiet" command.

Most trainers will tell you to take Oska out for many walks to tire him out. Also, it is helpful to try to desensitize him by socializing Oska so having people in your house will not cause this incessant barking.

This LINK will show you tips.

This LINK will give more tips.

Bark collar are very effective if these other tips are not effective. LINK These are not cruel but get the point across.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Viv, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. Putting in some time with Oska will stop this behavior, Viv.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much Loretta for your very helpful reply. We will find out where we can take him for the obedience classes he is a lovely dog we don't want to let him go so will try anything. I will let you know in time how he is getting on.

you have a great day too.....

Good for you, Viv....once Oska learns that this is bad behavior, he will be a much nicer dog to have around your friends.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Loretta

In answer to all 3 questions asked I did so when asked you the question. when I first asked you about Oska you replied with a great answer don’t know why we hadn’t asked our Vet but there you go. We are taking Oska for behavour training on Tuesday so fingers crossed thanks again for your help. To be honest that was the only question we needed answering we will consult with our own vet in future…

Kind regards XXX XXXXX

Good for you, Viv...I am sure this will really help Oska....

Happy Easter!!