Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 7 yr old springer after initial urinating continues

Customer Question

My 7 yr old springer bitch after initial urinating continues to try and urinate at short intervals and only passing a few droplets each time
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Storm. She's stranguric which describes frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine. A bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) is the most common cause of such behavior.

Storm's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis (percutaneous needle aspiration of the bladder) and perform a urinalysis and perhaps bacterial culture and sensitivity in order to confirm infection. If so confirmed, a broad spectrum antibiotic will be chosen or one will be chosen predicated upon the findings of the culture and sensitivity. Antibiotics should be administered for 10-14 days and Storm's urine rechecked two days after the course of therapy has ended in order to ensure that her urinary tract has been sterilized.

If response to therapy is poor, Storm's vet may suggest an X-ray or ultrasound in an attempt to identify uroliths (stones) which may be acting as a nidus of infection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Storm, please?