Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My ewe gave birth to two lambs last Tuesday. One of her udders

My ewe gave birth to two lambs last Tuesday. One of her udders is very large but not particularly inflamed but I cannot get any milk out of it. The other udder seems to be normal and the lambs are suckinh from it but we are giving them supplemental milk from bottles as they are not getting enough.
The sheep had two lambs last year and was able to feed them OK from both udders. She was dried off quite late but no signs of any problems at the time
She did have a difficult birth - could this be a problem or is it mastitis?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

A difficult lambing is not going to affect the milk production or release from one udder/teat. If milk cannot be expressed from this abnormally large gland (which its being large is the significant worry here), then I'd be concerned that she may have a mastitis or even a focal abscess in the gland.

In this case, you do need to keep supplementing the lambs or consider fostering them onto other dams. In regards XXXXX XXXXX it would be worth getting a temperature (to see if she has a fever) and consider starting a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Procaine Penicillin G at a dose of 1 ml per 20 pounds of her weight subcutaneously daily for 5-7 days) while you warm compress the gland and try to see if you can get any milk out. If the gland's distension doesn't settle or you are seeing any further distension, then we'd want to consider having her vet take a look at the gland to just make sure this isn't something sinister (like a focal abscess that could cause mammary gland tissue necrosis and rupture).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )