Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my dog has trodden on a bee and got stung. I have put bicarbonate

my dog has trodden on a bee and got stung. I have put bicarbonate of soda on his paw. Can I give him Piriteze?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Loretta :

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Murphy's situation...this can cause an allergic reaction and it is helpful to give Murphy an anti histamine to decrease this reaction to teh stong. Piriteze can be given at 1 ,g per kg once daily. I prefer to use Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs but if Piriteze is all you have, this will help stop this reaction.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta :

It is also helpful to apply the bicarbonate and also to apply cold compresses to help draw out the stinger is present and decrease the swelling.

Customer:

That is fine thank you. Murphy weighs about 20Kg so I guess one tablet would be fine or should I give him half?

Customer:

Yes, Christine...if the tablet is 20 mg, give that to Murphy and if this is still bothering him in the morning, give another. In most cases, Christine, one dose is enough.

Good luck,....poor Murphy! OUCH!! That hurts!!
Hi Christine...I was not sure you got that last post...please let me know if you have other questions.