DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

my dog ate a dead pigeon yesterday and has been up through

Customer Question

my dog ate a dead pigeon yesterday and has been up through the night with diarohhea. He is up to date with all injections, and we are getting a worming tablet today, keeping lots of fresh water available and only dried food... should we do anything else?
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about your dog .

DR.J :

How is he currently ? is he still having Diarrhea?

DR.J :

is he vomiting as well ?

DR.J :

eating , drinking ?

Customer:

his last movement was about 9 am , he is drinking but not eating

Customer:

no vomiting that we have noticed

DR.J :

how old is he and how much does he weigh ?

Customer:

he is 21 months and weighs about 5.5 kilos ( a titchy cockapoo)

DR.J :

Thank you for the information .

Customer:

he was in hospital the weekend we got him with severe diaorrhea and nearly died, so i am more concerned than i probably would be

DR.J :

There are two concerns here .

Customer:

ok, what are they?

DR.J :

1. we are dealing with just a bad tummy after eating the pigeon and all we need is some support in the form of some bland diet - boiled chicken and white rice so settle everything and perhaps some probiotics which you can get from you vet and if the need arias then add some antibiotic to the mix if this doesn't help .

DR.J :

2. we need to question of the pigeon has died as a result of natural causes or was it poisoned as part of pest control

DR.J :

Is you dog otherwise bright and alert?

Customer:

how would I know that? it was dead in the garden....

Customer:

he is a lot brighter than he was, he goes very lethargic

DR.J :

this is a very good signs (and right now the only lead by which to work) .

DR.J :

What you need to do next is the following :

Customer:

ok, lovely thank you - what signs do i look for to take him to the vet if needed?

DR.J :

Make him a Chicken and rice meal as I mentioned before. (no more of his regular food for the next 4 days at least) .. give little and often . and now you need to observe him . if you see him still having diarrhea and becoming worse then you need to pay a visit to your vet for a antibiotics and perhaps fluid therapy (he is small and can get hydrated easily) . If you see he is on the mend then you done well and he has recovered from his tummy upset and all is well

Customer:

Thank you x

DR.J :

By the sound of it - he is already feeling better and you are doing a good job (most likely this pigeon has died naturally)