Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 4 and a half month puppy has a very upset tummy, very runny

My 4 and a half month puppy has a very upset tummy, very runny poo and is off his food. I have also noticed small white things in his earlier hard stools. Are they connected? Could he have picked up a paracitic tummy bug?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- Any vomiting?
4- Can you describe the appearance of the white things you saw in his feces?
5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Blood in the stool. He is very lethargic. He was sick yesterday but has eaten very little since.

The white things where about 2mm and maggot shapped and his gums are pale.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Rachel, I believe the white things you saw in his stool were tapeworms. However, I don't believe the symptoms you are seeing now is related to the tapeworms. You see, puppies usually don't become ill in this manner with tapeworms. Other possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections (parvo), etc.
I am a bit concern if his gums are pale; this is a sign of either anemia (decrease red blood cells), severe dehydration, decrease blood pressure or cardiac output, etc. Very often dogs with pale gums can have a fatal outcome if underlying cause is not treated.
In this case, I would strongly recommend you have Bert checked today by a veterinarian. He may need to be on IV fluids until your vet does some testing to determine the exact underlying cause for his symptoms. In the meantime give him water with a dropper directly into his mouth. Offer a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken, if possible blend the food.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter