Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My hen is standing on her own, closing her eyes and not moving

Customer Question

My hen is standing on her own, closing her eyes and not moving a lot. She has runny poop. Her comb is a good colour but her demeanour is really worrying.can you help?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Herbert's condition. How long has she been ill, and how long ago did you worm her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi dr Bob! She's been ill for a couple of days but she has previously displayed the same symptoms which disappeared after I treated her with the above.
Today was the third worming day, using liquid in the drinking water.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Intestinal parasites are, by far, the most common cause of runny droppings, but there are certainly other causes as well.
Has she she started laying, and has she been laying eggs regularly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think she's laid an egg yet. It's hard to tell as there are six hens and four to five eggs a day.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you, Sally. The reason I asked is that when young hens first begin to lay, their eggs can be quite large and become lodged in their cloacas. The liquid part of the droppings passes around the egg, but the more solid parts is blocked. I would suggest holding her upside down between your knees and probing her vent with a gloved finger to be sure an egg isn't stuck there, then let me know what you've found.