Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

how do I stop my dog eating his poo?

how do I stop my dog eating his poo?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome .. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This is a nasty thing to do by human standards but dogs actually do this quite commonly. I used to have two collie cross mongrels myself which have since passed away, due to old age I hasten to add. One of them habitually ate faeces, not only her own but other dog's faeces as well. She was very healthy and as a vet's dog very well fed and looked after but she still did it, probably just because she liked to.

Scott Nimmo :

There are a number of described reasons why your dog might do this and I will list them below :

1. As I said it can just be a habit and they do it for no other reason than they like doing so, young dogs often quickly grow out of the habit by the way.

2. If they are on a high quality dog food which is rich in protein there may be undigested food in the faeces which is attractive to the dog. You see the dog cannot digest all of this type of food. The remedy is to put the dog on a lower plane of feeding { cheaper brand } .

3. This habit is more common in puppies or adolescent dogs and is often associated with dogs which are under stimulated or left alone for to long a period. It is also known to be more common in puppies that are left in cages for to long.

4. It has been said that eating their own faeces is common in dogs which are lacking nutrients in their diets but these days with modern dog foods that is open to debate.

The above is the mental list I used when I talked to clients about this problem, the truth is we often never find out the real cause.

Scott Nimmo :

If it becomes a habit there are a number of things I advised clients to do, and some clients have reported success with these measures. You can sprinkle paprika pepper or a similar hot sauce on to your dog's faeces as soon as he passes them if you can catch him in the act, the message might get through that way.

There is a product made called For-Bid (available from your veterinarian) that you sprinkle on his food and it has been shown to have some success in stopping the behavior. LINK

Another thing that you can try is Adolph's (and in this case the brand name seems to be important) meat tenderiser sprinkled on the food. Some owners have reported success with this method.

Adding some pineapple juice to your dogs food that is said to help. Again this substance will make your dogs faeces more distasteful.

Scott Nimmo :

I hope this has been of use to you but if I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Good luck ...

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }