Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Newfie 2 years old, has a running poo, starts normal

My bitch Newfie 2 years old, has a running poo, starts normal but seems to end up with mucus. No blood, eating and drinking well. Tummy seems to make rumbling noises.
Sue Styles
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- How long since she was dewormed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Probably been going to for five days. Recently introduced her to 'nature menu' which is raw bones/chews and beef heart. Dewormed, I can't think, maybe last year.
Sue
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is it fair to say the loose stool started since introducing the new diet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not a new diet. Treats more like, but to be honest yes I think it does marry up with the last raw treat. But she was fine with previous bones/ treats - as are/were my two other dogs.
Need to pop out - be back in half an hour
Sue
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Sue, when we see mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). Common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. Having a history of new treats, we strongly have to consider the treats as the possible cause. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the loose stool with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Consider getting her dewormed, I would recommend you use Panacur (fenbendazole) once a day for 3 days at label dose, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy panacur online, vet's office or some pet stores.

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.