Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Newfie 2 years old, has a running poo, starts normal

My bitch Newfie 2 years old, has a running poo, starts normal but seems to end up with mucus. No blood, eating and drinking well. Tummy seems to make rumbling noises.
Sue Styles
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- How long since she was dewormed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Probably been going to for five days. Recently introduced her to 'nature menu' which is raw bones/chews and beef heart. Dewormed, I can't think, maybe last year.
Sue
Is it fair to say the loose stool started since introducing the new diet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not a new diet. Treats more like, but to be honest yes I think it does marry up with the last raw treat. But she was fine with previous bones/ treats - as are/were my two other dogs.
Need to pop out - be back in half an hour
Sue
Sue, when we see mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). Common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. Having a history of new treats, we strongly have to consider the treats as the possible cause. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the loose stool with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Consider getting her dewormed, I would recommend you use Panacur (fenbendazole) once a day for 3 days at label dose, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy panacur online, vet's office or some pet stores.

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter