Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cat is yellow looking in roof of his mouth and eyes appear

My cat is yellow looking in roof of his mouth and eyes appear yellow. Gone off some foods but will still eat fresh roast chicken cheese spread on crackers & boiled ham, loosing weight 3.8kg in Oct13 now weighs 3.1kg. Is looking quite thin and sleeps alot only young cat approx 16mths
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Is he strictly indoors?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About the last 4 weeks my daughter was looking after him while we were away and said he didn't seem to be eating but he appeared ok when we came home. However the last 2 wks he seems to have gone off his food and he has lost weight. No vomiting, diarrhea as far as we know ( he uses cat litter & goes out but usually in the garden). No not strictly indoors but has been staying in alot more and has been sleeping alot more.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Vicky, when we see yellow color of the oral cavity and eyes it is a sign of an increase of bilirubin in the blood. In other words, because of the increase levels of bilirubin the patient becomes yellow (jaundice). The big question is: Why the increase in bilirubin? This usually occurs secondary to either liver disease or massive destruction of red blood cells which can be a consequence of infections, auto immune disorders, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause Little Fella is going to need a hands on examination by a veterinarian and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, feed him a bland diet of rice with chicken.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter