Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have three dogs, one male (intact) and 2 bitches. one of

I have three dogs, one male (intact) and 2 bitches.
one of my bitches was spayed 10 days ago and had her stitches out yesterday. For the last 10 days she has been staying at my son's house. After having her stitches out I brought her home. I didn't think there would be any problem with re-uniting the three dogs.
But since coming home my male dog is behaving as though my newly spayed bitch is in heat, so much so that I have had to separate them.
My question is: is it normal for a newly spayed bitch to excrete the same scent as a bitch in the heat of her season?
If so is there anything I can do to reverse the effect?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This is something I have encountered now and again in my career, it is rare though. You see during spaying the ovaries are sometimes traumatised but this is no problem as they are being removed anyway, this leads to a surge in female hormones and this in turn can make the dog appear to come into season and be attractive to male dogs.

Scott Nimmo :

This is not a serious situation as the residual hormones will decline on their own over a on eweek to ten day period and then things will settle down, and never recur again

Scott Nimmo :

There is unfortunately no treatment though, all you can do is to wait I am afraid ...

Hello again Carol,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Spirit is getting on with the post spay behaviour.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott