Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 9 old pup has just been on a long walk, on arriving home

Customer Question

My 9 old pup has just been on a long walk, on arriving home he has thrown up(vomited) and is now shaking when breathing. I've fed him some water and he is asleep but is still shaking as he sleeps... I'm very worried, can you please help me? Amy x
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Tank is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He doesn't have diarrhea and I'm not sure if he's eaten anything whilst we were walking around the lake and along the canal, I don't have a thermometer to take a rectal temperature. His gums seem fine.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Amy, vomiting can be caused by many different things. Common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. The shaking could be a sign of discomfort or a fever. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above or shaking he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter