Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

Hello. My 3 year old Doberman had 2 seizures over a year ago

Customer Question

Hello. My 3 year old Doberman had 2 seizures over a year ago and has been on Phenobarbital since then. He had not had a single seizure since. We got a puppy 5 days ago and they are getting on well. The pup is however quite dominant with toys etc. My Doberman had a seizure last night and the night before which leads me to believe that the stress of the new puppy has caused this to happen. We are separating the dogs for the majority of the time now. Do you think that the Doberman will go back to not having seizures once he gets used to the puppy? Also are there any further measures we can take?
Thankyou.
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 years ago.

Dr Aaron :

Hello this is Dr. Aaron. Please let me know when you're available and we can talk about Sandy.

Customer:

Hello Dr. Aaron. I am free to talk thankyou

Dr Aaron :

Great. When was the last time Sandy's phenobarbital level was checked?

Customer:

Only a month or so ago and the vet said that it was fine

Dr Aaron :

good.

Dr Aaron :

It is likely that the additional stress of the puppy is causing the seizures.

Dr Aaron :

This type of increase in seizures does not always happen..every dog with epilepsy is very different.

Dr Aaron :

I would recommend calling your local vet and seeing if there is any room to increase the phenobarbital dose.

Dr Aaron :

Usually there is a satisfactory therapeutic range.

Customer:

Thankyou Dr Aaron. Would the phenobarbital dose be raised temporarily to allow for this time of settling in with the puppy or be raised on a more permanent basis?

Dr Aaron :

I am so sorry. My computer randomly shut down and then it wouldn't work.

Dr Aaron :

It is very possible that Sandy would only require an increased dose until she is more used to the new addition

Dr Aaron :

But it is just as likely that an increased dose would become her dose moving forward.

Dr Aaron :

If the phenobarbital level was such that additional dosage of this medication is not recommended, there are other alternatives that can be added on such as Potassium Bromide, Zonisamide or Keppra

Dr Aaron :

Using a very slow introductory period for the dogs is likely going to be crucial moving forward

Dr Aaron :

You can try to take measures to lower Sandy's stress level. Often times medication is used for this, but because she is already on phenobarbital it would be beneficial to try other avenues.

Dr Aaron :

One option would be a natural product such as Zylkene.

Dr Aaron :

http://www.zylkenepet.co.uk/

Dr Aaron :

This medication has a milk protein in it that has been showed to ease anxiety in dogs and cats.

Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 3 years ago.
Once again I so sorry for the glitch and my computer shutting off randomly.

It is very important to me that you are completely satisfied.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you would like and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Once you are satisfied, I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me a positive rating/review so that I may be compensated for my time.

Thank you very much!