condition is vomiting only no other symptoms - vet prescribed omeprazole caps 10mgx12.0 and noroclav tabs 250mg x6.0 neither of which we have been able to give her due to the fact she refuses to eat anything. Will upload the vets results if able to obtain them in due course after the Easter break.
Thank you. The omeprazole can be helpful but Noroclav is likely to cause additional gastrointestinal distress and unless a bacterial infection sensitive to Noroclav has been identified, I can't recommend its use. Vomiting patients can't be managed at home. We need to inject antiemetic drugs such as maropitant and antacids such as famotidine in order to avoid vomiting patients vomiting oral drugs. Force feeding is indicated at this time but not if vomiting remains uncontrolled. Hence, the need for an injectible antiemetic given to Freckles 1/2 hour before force-feeding her with a feeding syringe filled with a puppy food gruel. I understand the logistical constraints that you have entering the Easter break but I don't want Freckles to continue to starve for the next three days. Please entertain having Freckles see an on-call/ER vet for the treatment mentioned above and please continue our conversation if you wish.
thankyou for your advice and will take the action you suggest. Would like to continue our conversation further when hopefully will have some positive progress to report.
HI again- update on Freckles now homed with the vet where further blood and other tests are in progress but because of the Easter break these will not go to the lab until Tuesday however it does now appear that her problem maybe related to the liver as there is yellowing of the eyes so will have to wait until the test results come through for a definite diagnosis.
update on freckles she is still homed at the vets. placed on a drip and receiving metronibazold and augmentin. Contention seems to be that she has ingested some poison of some sort exactly what we may never know.Seems to be responding to treatment although it is going to be a long haul might just might have her home by the weekend but will have to wait and see how things go.
as I understand it the jaundice was caused by a liver disorder by some toxin but does not seem to have affected the kidneys .Although all her jabs are up to date apparently some dogs can have an adverse reaction to the vaccine given to protect them from the disease carried by rats or indeed if given it can sometimes be ineffective maybe clutching at straws. We do live in the countryside and all manner of wildlife is around us. deer , foxes, pheasants etc., that is all the information I have at present. Do you wish for me to continue keeping you posted I'm afraid it has become quite a long saga.