Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

puppy 5 months refuses to eat had barium meal no obstruction

Customer Question

puppy 5 months refuses to eat had barium meal no obstruction - wasting away desperate
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Freckles. Can you tell me, please, which other symptoms have arisen other than her anorexia - vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing, coughing, increased respiratory rate, e.g? Can you also tell me what diagnostics (complete blood count, biochemical panel, urinalysis) have been performed? I would be pleased to review the results of any testing for you if you could upload those results to our conversation. I understand that you might not have a copy of the test results but Freckles's vet can give you a copy.

I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

condition is vomiting only no other symptoms - vet prescribed omeprazole caps 10mgx12.0 and noroclav tabs 250mg x6.0 neither of which we have been able to give her due to the fact she refuses to eat anything. Will upload the vets results if able to obtain them in due course after the Easter break.

Thank you. The omeprazole can be helpful but Noroclav is likely to cause additional gastrointestinal distress and unless a bacterial infection sensitive to Noroclav has been identified, I can't recommend its use. Vomiting patients can't be managed at home. We need to inject antiemetic drugs such as maropitant and antacids such as famotidine in order to avoid vomiting patients vomiting oral drugs.

Force feeding is indicated at this time but not if vomiting remains uncontrolled. Hence, the need for an injectible antiemetic given to Freckles 1/2 hour before force-feeding her with a feeding syringe filled with a puppy food gruel. I understand the logistical constraints that you have entering the Easter break but I don't want Freckles to continue to starve for the next three days. Please entertain having Freckles see an on-call/ER vet for the treatment mentioned above and please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou for your advice and will take the action you suggest. Would like to continue our conversation further when hopefully will have some positive progress to report.

You're welcome to return to our conversation at your convenience. I'm usually close to my computer. Who am I kidding...I'm chained to my computer by evil gnomes.

I'll await your next post.
May I have an update on Freckles, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI again- update on Freckles now homed with the vet where further blood and other tests are in progress but because of the Easter break these will not go to the lab until Tuesday however it does now appear that her problem maybe related to the liver as there is yellowing of the eyes so will have to wait until the test results come through for a definite diagnosis.

Thank you for taking the time to update me. Yes, a liver disorder as well as red blood cell destruction (hemolysis) can cause icterus/jaundice - the yellowing you're seeing. Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

update on freckles she is still homed at the vets. placed on a drip and receiving metronibazold and augmentin. Contention seems to be that she has ingested some poison of some sort exactly what we may never know.Seems to be responding to treatment although it is going to be a long haul might just might have her home by the weekend but will have to wait and see how things go.

Oh my. Do you know if the jaundice is due to a liver disorder vs red blood cell destruction?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as I understand it the jaundice was caused by a liver disorder by some toxin but does not seem to have affected the kidneys .Although all her jabs are up to date apparently some dogs can have an adverse reaction to the vaccine given to protect them from the disease carried by rats or indeed if given it can sometimes be ineffective maybe clutching at straws. We do live in the countryside and all manner of wildlife is around us. deer , foxes, pheasants etc., that is all the information I have at present. Do you wish for me to continue keeping you posted I'm afraid it has become quite a long saga.

It sounds as if leptospirosis is being considered. At least that infection would be treatable. Yes, I'd very much like to be kept in the loop.