Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi my ten year old golden retriever has a bladder infection

Customer Question

Hi my ten year old golden retriever has a bladder infection and is on a anti biotic and steroids were also perscibed he was in and out to the loo all night but today he seems to have no control over his bladder and is constanly urinating there is no trace of blood in the urine the steroids were only prescribed since Thursday . Do I stop the steroids until I can get to see the vet on tue or should I go to a emergency clinic thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Taz. There's no indication for the use of steroids when addressing a bladder infection. Steroids immunosuppress (lower the activity of his immune system) and can make it nigh impossible to resolve a urinary tract infection. In addition, they can cause increased thirst and thus an increased volume of urine which can be difficult for Taz's bladder to retain - particularly because the bladder is already inflamed from his infection.

Stopping the steroids until Taz can be seen on Tuesday is appropriate. I don't hear of a reason for an ER visit. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.