Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my 4 month old border terrier pup rolled in what I think was

Customer Question

my 4 month old border terrier pup rolled in what I think was fox poo before I could stop him. He then licked some off of his friend who also had a good roll! today he is being sick.. am I to worry
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome : My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

JACUSTOMER-4cje7lz2- :

thank you, hope you can help

Scott Nimmo :

This sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Dennis over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have as in your case ...

Scott Nimmo :

Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

Scott Nimmo :

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

Scott Nimmo :

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

Scott Nimmo :

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Scott Nimmo :

The fox poo in itself is not particularly dangerous, he probably just has a tummy bug ...

Scott Nimmo :

Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.you do not need to give much, perhaps a tablespoon or so twice a day ...

Scott Nimmo :

Hopefully he will be OK but of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

JACUSTOMER-4cje7lz2- :

thank you, he is a terror and will try to eat everything in sight, starving him will be a problem as he is very food orientated and we have another young dog to feed but will give it a try. can you suggest a live yoghurt, I am not too familiar with this.

Scott Nimmo :

Just use any live yogurt you can pick up in the supermarket, it has to be plain and not pasturised so it contains the live bacteria, probiotics work in this way ...

JACUSTOMER-4cje7lz2- :

thank you, he is due to the vets on Tuesday anyway so hopefully will not need another visit beforehand, thanks again

Hello again Sue,

Hopefully I have given you a few ideas, If you would like to keep chatting then please do so here ...

Kindest regards,

Scott