Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hello.....My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have an 8 year old, neutered,

Customer Question

Hello.....My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have an 8 year old, neutered, border terrier. Evie, who has recently begun to get black scabby patches on he rtummy and inner back leg. I took her to the vet who told us this wasn`t Mange but where her tummy rest on the floor. We were given Fuciderm steroid cream to put on but it doesn't seem to be helping. The vet didn`t use a wood light to look at the patches or do a blood test to check her hormone levels. Do you think there is anything else I can do to help her? Thankyou.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she itchy?
2- Is the skin turning black or the scabs are dark/black?
3- How long have you been using Fuciderm?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The scabs started off as a sandy colour and once they come away from the skin, the skin is black underneath. She doesn`t appear to itching. I`ve been using the Fuciderm for almost a week.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is she licking this area?
2- Have you seen any improvement on the Fuciderm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There has been no improvement using Fuciderm and it appears to be spreading. She has a pimple near her front leg that also has a black scab next to it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She isn`t licking the tummy parts but she licks her paws I think as a distraction.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Cecilia, the skin turning black is called "hyperpigmentation." This usually occurs secondary to an inflammatory process as a result of infections, allergies, hormonal disorders, etc. What happens is that inflammatory cells (macrophages) release melanin during the inflammatory response. The black color will most likely not go away, it is not harmful just a consequence of inflammation. The fact that you are seeing scabs it is most likely secondary to a bacterial infection.
I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about starting her on an oral antibiotic (cephalexin). In addition, begin to wash area with a topical antimicrobial like Chlorhexiderm (chlorhexidine) 2 times a day. In addition, discuss with your vet about doing a skin scrapping to rule out mites.
If after doing the above you do not see improvement then your vet can do more specific testing like blood work (rule out hypothyroidism), culture & sensitivity, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Cecilia.