Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cockerpoo has just come back from a walk in a field

My cockerpoo bitch has just come back from a walk in a field and is acting very strange! She will sit for a few mins then kick out her back legs and sometimes get up and dart around, then settle again. Twitching and biting herself as well! I have checked her over and got a few thorn balls and a small twig off of her! It tends to be the back legs which are twitching the most! She is 14 months old! Is there anything she could have eaten which would effect her like this so quickly?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about BoBo's symptoms of kicking her rear legs, unable to settle, twitching biting herself.

I would be highly suspicious of an insect bite or sting that she is allergic to. Another possibility is exposure to a plant, like a wandering jew plant that can irritate the skin.

If the field was sprayed with a pesticide like those in the organophosphate or pyrethrin families then those can cause the symptoms that you are seeing as well due to skin irritation/absorption. Eventually if those chemicals are absorbed systemically we can see incoordination, muscle tremors, dilated pupils, nausea and possible seizures.

Right now because we don't know what is causing this I highly recommend bathing her with a degreasing type soap (Dawn dishwashing soap) and cool water. Do not scrub vigorously as that will increase absorption. I would bathe her at least twice, rinsing her very well.

In case this is related to an insect bite or sting or a plant the baths will also soothe her skin, and make her more comfortable.
I would also give an antihistamine.
Give Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic to dogs) at 0.5mg to 1mg per kilogram or one 25mg capsule per 12 kilograms of body weight orally every 8 hours. Give this for at least 72 hours or 3 days.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.