Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 3 year old, male, mixed breed dog. Yesterday afternoon

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old, male, mixed breed dog. Yesterday afternoon his penis would not retract completely inside the foreskin. Varied how much was exposed and most of the time he seemed unbothered by it. But when it was most exposed he kept sitting down to nose at it and lick it. Today looks fine, do I need to be concerned?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

So today his penis looks quite normal and the foreskin is 100% covering it and all seems well?

Customer: yes, he seems fine today. It happened once before, not sure how long ago. Not so much exposed and over a shorter period. He was out and about all day at an agility competition although it didn't seem to slow him up at all. It was cold in the afternoon (when I noticed it) but he had a coat on when not running.
Scott Nimmo :

This is a short answer I know but basically if his penis looks quite normal today and is not extruded then you will have no worries and can forget the incident ...

Hello again Rosemary,

Here is some info for you in case it happens again ...

What you saw yesterday is a situation which happens now and again and the technical term for it is paraphimosis, the usual problem is that he is unable to retract his foreskin because of an erection. The trapped foreskin can prevent blood flow from the penis and swelling can occur thus making it more difficult for things to return to normal.

1. What to try is to gently lubricate the shaft of the penis, use a lubricant gel if you have access to any or just lots of soap and water and gently try to retract and unroll the foreskin back to it's normal position.

2. Another approach is to make up a warm saturated sugar solution and place the dog's penis in it if this is possible say using a large container, otherwise just poultice the penis with the solution but saturate the whole area. This very often works because of an osmosis effect of the sugar, you have to do this for about twenty minutes.

3. However if you cannot resolve the situation by the above common sense means then you should have your vet take a look as soon as possible before permanent damage occurs as is possible. In your case you were lucky that things returned to normal on their own ...

Regards,

Scott
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Rosemary,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks to check on Tuc's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours today so please get straight back to me if things have changed or you want to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet