Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Every time my dog yawns he chatters his teeth dog is 15 years

Customer Question

Every time my dog yawns he chatters his teeth dog is 15 years old takeing metacam for artheritis is there an underlieing problem
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome .. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please can you answer : Is you dog otherwise quite happy and behaving normally and is eating well?

Customer: Hello we'll he does seem a bit of colour but no problem with his eating
Scott Nimmo :

This is a fairly simple problem which you see now and again, if it only happens when he yawns he most likely has some arthritis or inflammation in the joints in his jaw.

Scott Nimmo :

To be honest there is little you can do for this other than the metacam, if it was stress or discomfort anywhere else in his body the symptoms would not occur only when he yawns ..

Scott Nimmo :

I have never had much success in treating this but you should have your vet check this over the next time you take him in just in case ...

Customer: Ok then would u recommend me to up the dose of metacam as I am not giving full dose because of damaging kidneys
Hello again David,

We can chat here without incurring extra charges ..

Hello again,

Yes I would try the full dose for a couple of weeks and see what happens, that could well make a big difference ...

I have always found metacam to be very safe and have had very few problems with it. If you have a screening blood test run say every six months you should get early warning if this class of drug is having side effects or making his existing problems worse ....

Regards,

Scott

Just to be clear David,

Are you aware of any underlying kidney problems at present?

Regards,

Scott