Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a puppy that was born on 26th Jan with the first vaccination

I have a puppy that was born on 26th Jan with the first vaccination on 28th March and second on 11th April. To travel to a particular country the vaccinations need to be 28 days apart, if the puppy has the second vaccination repeated on the 26th April, will this be ok for the puppy. Will it cause any upset, distress or adverse medical side effects etc ???

I need clear advise, not that you would not recommend.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Munch.
Good question.
Yes, that second vaccine was given a bit early. In the U.S. we generally encourage regular vaccines, whether for travel reasons or not, to be at least 3-4 weeks apart. 28 days seems like a reasonable request.

So, will it be a problem?
No. The core vaccines like distemper/parvo virus are typically given at least 3 to 4 times from about 8 weeks of age to 4 months of age.

It's not ideal that it has to be repeated, but if required for travel, that is okay.

I would always advise, early or not, to watch for any signs of a vaccine reaction, which are generally easily treated if they occur. That would include vomiting, facial swelling, or a hives like reaction on the skin.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the puppy has a reaction it could be treated and ready to fly within 10 days ?

T

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Hi Melissa,
As a best guess. Yes.
Treatment is usually just a steroid shot and a antihistamine shot and most pets are fully recovered within about 24 hours.

Good Luck
Please remember to provide a feedback rating before leaving. Much appreciated.
Dr. Andy