Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Our budgie looks very sick. His feathers are fluffed up. He

Customer Question

Our budgie looks very sick. His feathers are fluffed up. He keeps tucking his head under his wing. His poo is not as solid as usual,and he is not talking at all.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Whenever a bird is acting other than normal in anyway including fluffed up, sitting on the bottom of the cage, lethargic (sleeping too much or low energy), has watery stool, decreased eating, or not preening it means they are sick, very sick. In this case he fits the the watery stool, lack of energy and fluffed symptoms, the other symptoms I mentioned could still be coming. Unfortunately for all of us it does not specify any certain disease in fact it can be many diseases but it does signal that they feel terrible. The bad thing about this is the same symptoms can be a minor cold or serious life threatening illness egg binding, liver disease, or heart disease among other problems. The best thing you can do is keep your bird's environment warm (over 80F) and see your vet ASAP. If your Nick stops eating then you need to go today/tonight on emergency. If you can't make it to the vet the only thing OTC that can have any benefit is Healx booster, the instructions are on the label. http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Cats/Cat-Health-Products/Supplements/Healx-Booster/p/I0020571

The best thing is the vet ASAP otherwise try the supplement. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan