DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

hi i have a westie and he is on meds to take down fluids on

hi i have a westie and he is on meds to take down fluids on his lugs and heart. he was at the vets today and i dont think his advice has made him better. my dog is panting a lot and getting sick but its clear. i would love some advice thank you.
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Casper.

DR.J :

could you please tell me

DR.J :

1. What medication is he taking (is it only Frusemide )?

DR.J :

2. For how long has he been taking this medication ?

DR.J :

3. What did you vet diagnose him with ?

DR.J :

4. Foe how long has he been showing symptoms of panting ?

Customer: 1. Not sure they are white and brown. The white ones are small and only 1 a day.The brown ones are large and 3 times a dy.
Customer: 2. He has being taking them for nearly 3 months now but they changed them yesterday. 3. he was not very clear on it saying it was his heart but when we had him down 3 months ago he said it was his lungs. 4. he has being showing it for months now. He will not drink or eat he will just eat sick.
DR.J :

thank you for your answer .

DR.J :

Was there any Xrays done or blood tests ?

DR.J :

There may be some forces at work - ones which are more chronic and have been going on for a while - such as heart disease or lung disease and the other could be the result of them which are more acute - which in Casper's case are possibly fluid filling the space of the lungs what is referred to as pulmonary edema or the space around the lungs which are referred to as Pleural effusion. Firstly we must know what of the two is occurring as the latter is considered more sever and at times requires surgical intervention meaning placing a tube to drain the fluid (something which is not possible with the former). As well I find it advisable to see what is the primary organ which is causing all the trouble - is it the heart or is it the lungs or perhaps neither . towards that aim I suggest doing the following :

DR.J :

1. Xray of the chest and abdomen

DR.J :

2. Blood test (biochemistry and hematology)

DR.J :

3. Urine test as well (to check for the presence of Proteins)

DR.J :

I don't know which of these your vet has tested for but I find that at times even if the cause of the disease looks obvious , you later find that it was completely different and that can not be proven unless the former exams have been undertaken.

Customer: 1. yes Xray was done he said there was fluid around his lungs, but not to much around his heart. The vet said that his heart was occupying over two thirds of his chest cavity. 2. No blood test was takin. 3. No Urine test was takin.
DR.J :

Thank you for you answer .

DR.J :

It might very well be that Casper is suffering for an advanced stage of heart disease .

DR.J :

But if he is still panting even when in rest and is very lethargic then there are things to be done .

DR.J :

1. if there is fluid around is lungs and they are found in large amount then firstly then need to be drained before moving ahead as it might be that the tablets will not be enough at first step . once the fluid is drained and Casper is feeling somewhat better then we can continue with the "water tablets" as they are at times referred to

DR.J :

2. I am not sure as to the seconder medication you are giving but it might be called Vetmedin

DR.J :

There is a need to advance his medicinal treatment - meaning increase the dose of medication to tailor it specifically to his needs. this is something that will prove beneficial for him. the drugs used today in the veterinary practice for heart disease are commonly - Frusemide , Fortekor and Vetmedin . There are other drugs which can be added to assist Casper but they are more specific and would usually require a specialist to prescribe them as they can effect in a number of ways if used incorrectly

Customer: He is not panting since last night and he is not breading as fast. He seems to be a lot more relaxed, But he will not keep water down. Will i request the vet to take blood and Urine test? What is the procedure to get him drined.
DR.J :

If he has improved from last night then then I see no need to perform a chest darning procedure as it involves general anesthetics which would not be wise considering his condition (it is used in cases of emergency when the risk is worth taking) . I would advise a urine test and a blood test to check for protein levels and other values as well so we can get a bigger picture of Casper's stat of health .

DR.J :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX not keeping his food down - I would advise perhaps using a drug named Cerenia which prevents vomiting as well as a drug named metaclopromide which can assist as well . If the situation of him not eating has indeed to do only with his heart then I would consider adjusting his doses to make him feel better and by that stimulate his appetite

Customer: ok i will take your advice onboard. why would he have got so sick in just a few hours. He got a lot of sick up yesterday like he eat something bad.
DR.J :

It could very well be connected to his lungs being surrounded by fluid -- you see, as the lungs are surrounded by fluid they have little room to expand on inhalation - as a result they tend to press downwards on the diaphragm which in turn press on the stomach . this among other things can result in discomfort , acid reflux , and general sens of not wanting to eat anything

DR.J :

It could on the other hand be not related at all and Casper did actually eat something bad which has caused all that

DR.J :

That is why I recommend giving him medication to settle his stomach as well

DR.J :

I'm glad he is not panting anymore - this is a good sign that the medication is working

DR.J :

and the fluid around his lungs have decreased .

DR.J :

With that I hope that he will stop vomiting and regain his apatite - thou I will say again , I do recommend performing the additional blood and urine test and have something to sooth his stomach.

DR.J :

I hope this helps

DR.J :

If you have any more questions please let me know

DR.J :

I wish you both all the best

Customer: thank you i will do as you stated i will let You know if your advice has improved in casper case thank you very much for your help.
DR.J :

It has been my pleasure .. all the best and let me know how you get on with him.

Customer: will do thank you.
DR.J :

Please , before you leave our chat - do not forget to rate it

DR.J :

Cheers

DR.J :

Dr.J

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
Hi.. how is Casper feeling ?