Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi i have a 16 year old lab that lost the power in her hind

Customer Question

Hi i have a 16 year old lab that lost the power in her hind legs, vomiting and diarrhea last night and the loss of appitate but the thing is that she is fine this morning again.
This happened last year as well to her along with my other two bernese mountain dogs. They also had the same symptoms. It only seems to last for 24hrs but what exactly is it and how can i prevent it from happening again?
Thanks kirsty
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Kirsty and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There is a good chance that this was an allergic reaction especially since this has happened to your other dogs. If this happens again, give Goldie a Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs.

There is also a chance, considering Goldie's age, that this may be caused by a stroke taht was able to resolve itself. It is a very good idea to have your vet run lab work on Goldie to be sure that there is not a metabolic component or blood pressure issue that would cause this.

This has also been seen , Kirsty, with Epileptic seizures or any seizures that could be caused by liver disease and other more serious issues such as a brain tumor. That is why it is important to get testing done on Goldie to know for sure.

Does that make sense to you, Kirsty?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
im just wondering, could it be some sort of virus since the other two dogs took it as well? Il have the local vet take some tests to make sure. Thanks anyway for your time an help. My mind is at ease a bit now. :)
It is unlikely a viral infection because this would not resolve so quickly, Kirsty. Please let me know what the tests show....this may help to determine the cause.

Thank you so much, Kirsty, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Goldie does well.

Have a wonderful day!