Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 7 year old long haired Bassett Hound, and when we

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old long haired Bassett Hound, and when we go to bed (yes he sleeps in my bed) he sometimes starts to shake and tremble. This is happening more recently and when I put the light on his mouth is usually open as if he is trying to get breath. I have my bedroom window open, so have ruled out that he is too hot. It only happends at bedtime and normally he falls asleep with no problems. He was particularly bad tonight or should I say it is nows 3.00am, and since coming down to see if he needed out (which he did not) he has settled again in the living room. Any ideals B4 I take him to the vet??  I have been waiting nearly 15 mins, do you know how much longer it will take to get an answer?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Your question came in late at night when few vets were available. I can't think of any medical disorders that appear only at bedtime other than sundowner's syndrome which is a form of cognitive dysfunction seen mainly in dogs and humans. Hamish may become anxious in the quiet and dark of night which is manifested by shaking, trembling, panting, vocalization, behavior changes, and aimless wandering in our dogs. Sundowners is conjectured to arise due to sensory deprivation (vision and hearing) and resultant confusion being exacerbated in the quiet and dark.

Hamish's age, however, should make cognitive dysfunction less likely although not impossible. I believe that Hamish's vet will be puzzled by Hamish's history as well. A thorough physical exam and basic diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests would be prudent because there's so little to go on at this time.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.