Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dog has been vomitting and has bllod in his stools as of

Customer Question

my dog has been vomitting and has bllod in his stools as of today.I took him to the vet yesterday and he was given an injexctioj to stop the vomitting and i am supposed to start him on tablets today,but i just moticed the blood.he has not earen for 24hours and is very depressed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood have you seen in his stool?

Just a spoonful or so on top? All blood?

Does he have diarrhea or normal consistency stool?

Has Monty eaten at all since the anti-vomiting injection?

Any further vomiting?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

small amont of blood

has diarrhea but very little coming out as now 2cnd day

not eaten anything

not aware of further vomiting

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Graham,

The fresh blood you are seeing is just a sign of colonic inflammation (colitis). We will often see this as a side effect in dogs with diarrhea (most likely here) or can see it related to some parasite infections. In this case, when we see a bit of blood with loose stools in a dog under treatment, we would just continue their antibiotics and consider a light easily digestible diet. Examples of bland diets would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. By reducing the diarrhea with a light diet and tackling any bacteria involved in the colonic inflammation, we will usually be able to settle the irritation and bleeding alongside treating his upper GI troubles.

Now if you haven't tried any of these light diet options yet, do consider doing so now. Start with small volumes (a spoonful to start) with 30 minute rests in between (where he can have more if he doesn't vomit). But if you try that and Monty still won't even be tempted to eat, I would be concerned.

As I am sure you know Labradors do not refuse food lightly, so if he is still nauseous after the anti-vomiting injection this does raise serious red flags. It may just be that he needs a stronger anti-vomiting treatment. Or that something else is afoot that isn't responding to treatment. Therefore depending on his history prior to vomiting (ie drinking more, losing weight, ate something that could have gotten stuck in his GI, etc) and the vet's exam findings, I would advise considering further diagnostics to get to the bottom of this for Monty. If there is any chance that he cold have ingested something daft, then an xray could diagnose or rule this out as a worry for him. If he has been showing some recent changes in his older age, then a blood sample could tell you if he may be nauseous due to a liver or kidney issue.

Overall, the fresh blood is a minor sign of colonic irritation likely secondary to his loose stool. With a light diet and general spectrum antibiotics, we would expect it to settle. The bigger worry is this continued lack of appetite with treatment on board.
So, I would advise trying the light diet at this stage to offset the colitis; but if he refuses then we have to ask ourselves what else is going on that we are missing and consider further tests to identify the cause we need to be treating.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )