Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

we are pensioners n have been looking after a grand daughters

we are pensioners n have been looking after a grand daughters dutch blue rabbit now for a few months due to family problems unknown to us we have fed him lettuce he has very soft stools n was blocked up i spoke to vet nurse on thursday and was advised to stop all green food etc till back to normal managd to cler him and was ok till today n hes blocked again very meessy aas well with dried poo am worried it might cause more damage to him cant see how we can clean him without hurting him
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm happy to try to be of help.
How kind of you to help Blue out. . .
It sounds to me from what you are saying that Blue has had diarrhea that got stuck on his fur on his back end. . .correct? This usually can be cleaned off either by soaking the back end area with moist towels to loosen the dried stool and then removing it. You'd could also give him a bath. . .at least soak his rear end in warm water. . .and then gently remove the loosed stool. Sometimes rabbits will need to be trimmed with clippers, but their skin is so delicate and would be inflamed from the stuck stool, that cutting their skin can easily complicate things.
I'm also wondering what you are now feeding him? Rabbits should be fed mostly fresh grass hay. His diarrhea could be totally secondary to a dietary problem, so let's start there. . .grass hay? Is he eating well?
Look forward to hearing from you. I'm in the States, so hope to hear from before bedtime for you. . .
Dr. Barbara
Experience: Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.