Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

What causes sheep to prolapse after giving birth

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The stress of pushing the lambs out can cause a prolapse for no apparant reason. Research has determined that it has a nutritional relation but no one yet knows what this relationship is so that it could be corrected.

Often, due to genetics, the adhesions that hold the uterus and vagina in when in the process of delivery , are weak and allows the uterus to prolapse. the treatment with either teh belt or suturing this in will provide teh adhesions to hold this in in the future.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Kathleen, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you ANSWER IS AS I suspected but good to have advice from an expert our vet is abroad at present and he is the sheep expert so thought I'D TRY INTERNET

Good to know, Kathleen....you will not be able to prevent this from happening but as long as you know how to manage it, you will do well.