Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 4 year old Maltese terrier has developed a sore on her

Customer Question

My 4 year old Maltese terrier has developed a sore on her anal canal. She is in pain when passing a stool. I know it is a very difficult area to heal but am looking for any suggestions.
Our regular vet suggests cream but it I am wondering if there if anything else Zi can try.
Thank you. Linda
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Linda.and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I know this is very painful...if this is a benign skin tumor, Linda, then this will have to be removed. No amount of creme or ointment can resolve this if this is a tumor. If this is a sore caused by irritation, the best thing to use on sweet little Holly is a steroid creme applied every 4-6 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causng Holly's pain and will help this heal during this process. Please make sure, Holly, that there is not an infectious process causing this since this would require an antibiotic to get this area ot heal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thank you. This is very helpful.
I think we may have communicated last year when I thought it was an anal gland issue . Anyway since then my dog groomer found the sore! Holly's anal glands are being managed fine BUT perhaps this sore is fro.m A carpet rub situation. The creme is fundiderm and I apply it at night after she appears to have poop distress. Also I am washing the back area with Hibiscrub diluted. After every motion. I am at my wits end with this as Holly is our family member and so precious.
Hope you can help!
Alternatively we are wondering if homeopathy would work.
Thank you Linda for that information....

Since your vet has examined this area and has determined that this is a rub or irritation, then the creme you are using is good for infections but does not contain a steroid that would relieve this irritation,...therefore, Holly may be apt to continue to rub this so it cannot heal. Apply this along with a steroid creme such asCortaid that can be purchased over the counter at the human pharmacy.

AS far as a holistic treatment, I have had success with this product to stop irritation so the area is allowed to heal. It is called Hot Spot Itch Relief which contains Tea tree oil, Aloe vera, chamomille and other holistic ingredients....it is worth a try, Linda. It appears to me that sweet little Holly is still irritated because it is not alowed to heal.

LINK

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thamks and i will try this, is it ok to apply directly on the anal tissue wound? How many times a day, is it ok should she lick it! Cam i get from human pharmacy!
Thank you Linda
Yes, Linda....you can apply this directly to the anal tissue and it will not hurt Holly if she licks this. It is certainly worth a try....The Cortaid you can get at the human pharmacy but the Holistic medication must come from a pet store or online.

Good luck, Holly!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Linda, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Holly is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!