Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My male neutered dog is constantly getting too much amorous

My male neutered dog is constantly getting too much amorous affection from other male dogs - they are very determined and it's almost like my dog is a bitch on heat to them. We were followed miles the other day by a non castrated dog and no amount of shooing or snapping from mine would make him go home. In the end I had to tie him up and call the number on his id and wait for the owner to come get him.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about your boy hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

There are several possible explanations for why your altered dog would be attractive to other, unneutered male dogs:

1. Estrogen.

a) If, for example, he was a shelter or rescue and had a retained testicle, then this testicle could be producing estrogen which makes him similar to a female dog in heat.

If this is a possibility, then estrogen levels can be run and he'll need surgery to remove this testicle.

b) Exposure to estrogen either through any drugs he may been given or exposure to any human hormone replacement therapy can also cause this behavior from other dogs towards him.

2. Urinary tract infections can cause this behavior. If suspected, then a urinalysis should be helpful in determining whether or not there's an infection present; appropriate antibiotics should resolve the problem.

3. Infections in the prepuce (which houses the penis) can also cause some dogs to be attractive to other dogs although it sounds as if the unwanted attention is somewhat intense for an infection in this area.

Close examination of the prepuce may reveal a problem.

4. Anal gland infections can also cause this problem but I'd expect such an issue to be fairly obvious when you looked under the tail.

I hope this helps although, again, I'm sorry for teh delayed response to you. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, the first one's interesting as he is a rescue but why would that result in a retained testicle?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

The connection between being a rescue and possibly having retained testicles (the term is called cryptorchid) is the following:

If neither testicle dropped and he was picked up as a stray, for example, with no previous history, the shelter folks would have assumed that he'd already been altered.

Not all retained testicles produce estrogen but about 10% of them can do so over time. Estrogen can cause feminization of a male dog, make them attractive to other male dogs, mammary glands can enlarge...well, you get the picture.
Dogs with retained testicles also have a higher incidence of developing cancer in these testicles which is one of the reasons why we recommend surgery to remove them.

It's also possible that he only had one testicle which didn't descend. His owner may have just has the one visible testicle removed and left the other one although this is not something that most vets would condone.

Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had him neutered at 9 months after I'd got him from the rescue centre in which case it's probably not likely to be the undropped testicle as I presume the vet doing the neutering would have checked or wouldn't they?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
I agree that retained testicles are not likely to be the case here since it's highly unlikey the vet performing the surgery wouldn't have said something if present.

Although I suppose I shouldn't assume that this would be true if a shelter vet performed the surgery and not your personal vet.
In any event, I can only presume that if a retained testicle was present, surgery would have been done to remove it so this issue can be eliminated from the possible causes for males being attracted to your boy. Deb