Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi- my son is in prison currently, however his dog is in need

Customer Question

Hi- my son is in prison currently, however his dog is in need of an operation ASAP as I have a dog of my own- both males and they are continually fighting, there getting a lot more aggressive and I'm petrified that they will end up seriously hurting one another, my son was receiving job seekers allowance before being incarcerated and I can not afford the operation and really would appreciate some advice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

This is not an enviable situation to be in. In regards XXXXX XXXXX Loco's care addressed, there are a few options in this challenging situation. First, it is worth noting that your son's status pre-incarceration is unlikely to have any bearing on getting Loco assistance. Instead, since Loco's owner is not able to assume responsbility for his care (since he cannot take him to the vet), any needs tested options would be based on yourself and the circumstances.

Therefore, if you are on housing or tax benefits, then he is eligible to be seen by the PDSA (They offer this service and tend to work on a donation system rather then providing a payment system, so you can pay as much as you are able). As well, even if you are not located near a PDSA hospital, they may still be able to help via the Pet Aid Scheme. This is where they will put funds towards getting Loco's care covered. To find the PDSA nearest to you and check your eligibility, you can check HERE.

If you aren't eligible, there is still hope. I appreciate it would be a wee trek, but if you are local to London or Grimsby, the Blue Cross (HERE) will see animals in his situation and as a charity their services are subsidized significantly. London also has the Battersea Dog and Cat Home who offer low cost clinics for pets.

If the above aren't options, then you can also contact your local RSPCA branch (LINK ) for assistance. The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly (ie Salford, Birmingham, London), but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting his treatment. They may even be able to help organize a payment plan and refer you to their contracted vet, who will likely have a contracted price range for their charity. So, even if you aren't eligible for PDSA, help is still possible for Loco.

Finally, since I suspect the operation you have noted is likely to be a castration, I did just want to note that the Dog's Trust offer a subsidized neutering scheme. You can find more information HERE. With this program, the Trust sends out a voucher and you redeem it for a low cost castrate at your local participating vet practice. So, if it is a castration he needs, then this too would be an option.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )