Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my cat has an allergic reaction to spot on flea treatments.

Customer Question

my cat has an allergic reaction to spot on flea treatments. This causes her to drool and become very stressed. She reacted like this to Frontline when I first got her, so I took her to the vet who prescribed Advantage. Unfortunately she now has the same reaction to this. She doesn't go out very much, being old, but I've noticed some signs of fleas and realise I have to d something. Is there something else the vet can prescribe, like an injection? Is it worth me trying Exner Petguard spray which claims not to have chemicals. I know this will upset her but am trying to find something that will do the job and not cause problems for her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor lass!

If she doesn't tolerate the spot-on treatments, then I would suggest taking a different approach to your flea control. In regards XXXXX XXXXX you might want to speak to her vet about the Program flea treatment. Now it is worth noting that Program works a bit differently then the spot on's you have used. It doesn't so much kill the adult flea as sterilizes it. That means that they cannot reproduce and after that flea dies we won't see any more. Therefore, if she doesn't go out much, then those limited fleas would be unable to increase their numbers and this would avoid continual harassment by fleas. And what is especially ideal about this treatment for her is that it is a treatment that comes in an injectable form (More Info) and an oral form (More Info). Both last 6 month, so it only means flea'ing her twice a year. So this is a potential option for her.

Another alternative for your lass would be Comfortis (LINK). This is a monthly tablet that would kill fleas and again avoid you having to stress her or worry about her issues with spot-on treatments. So, if she isn't adverse to tablets, this would be another good option for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this will be an expensive treatment and I am on a limited income. What do you think of alternatives like regular use of a flea comb or Exner Petguard?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Miriam,

Actually, I would note that this isn't likely to be much more costly from the spot-on's you have used thus far. If cost is a concern, then you might consider the Comfortis option for her. Then you could choose to treat monthly as needed instead of for set time frame. Furthermore, you then were to phone her vet for a written prescription (which they should give having seen her for this issue before and having a recent weight of her), you may even be able to save further money by using an online dispensary (For example, some of the online pharmacies offer a 6 month supply is around £30-35 depending on her weight). So that may be a better option for her.

Otherwise, since you asked my opinion about the Exner Petguard spray as a flea treatment for her, I have to be honest and suspect it will be a waste of money for you. The reviews for it are poor and the listed ingredients are Water, fat, whey protein, sucrose-monohydrate, ash. Which as I am sure you can appreciate isn't going to do anything against fleas though may make her coat shiny. So, I'd not advise it and say that if your funds are very tight, then a flea comb and a bowl of fairy liquid (to drown the fleas in) would be much more effective an option.

All the best,

Dr. B.