Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My bullmastiff is 3yo was sick this morning yellow bile been

My bullmastiff is 3yo was sick this morning yellow bile been out for a poo but not been out for a wee or drank water all day and does not seem to want to get up even barking payed down
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tug.
My primary concerns for bringing up bile would include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s

I'm not sure what you have available in your area, but here are some suggestions:
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

To help stimulate the thirst you can try offering gatorade, pedialyte, or even adding canned tuna juice to the water (make sure to change frequently).

I wouldn't worry about offering any food for at least 12 hours from when the bile came up, and also allow time for medication to work.

But, for a Bullmastiff to refuse water and food, and not even want to get up is a automatic red flag for me. I definitely feel there is more than enough justification to get into an emergency vet now for supportive care.
I would suspect basic testing to include abdominal x-rays to check for issues like stomach bloat or foreign body ingestion.

Very sorry that Tug is not feeling well.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy