Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

A week ago my hamsters end of his tail came off the vet gave

Customer Question

A week ago my hamster's end of his tail came off the vet gave Baytril oral 2.5% for me to give to my hamster 0.05mls twice a day for a week. I carried this out. A scab formed over the area, but tonight,I have noticed his tail is bleeding , I bathed it with warm salted water. He is eating ok and is alert. Climbing the bars of his cage, climbing the stairs when we give him exercise. What should I do to aid a speedy healing for bobby(hamster)?
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. Tails are always difficult to get to heal as they are very mobile and easily accessible to the animal for licking and chewing. Keeping it clean as you have been is a necessity, but keeping him away from it is just as important. Did you vet make Bobby a little collar so he couldn't get to it?

Hi Helen,
Thank you so much for your kind rating. . .greatly appreciated.
Hope Bobby's tail is healing!
Best wishes,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bobby's tail is slowly healing thanks, with Baytril .
Good to hear! Hopefully, you are able to keep him away from his wounded tail. . .
Thanks for letting me know,
Dr. Barbara