Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My Rhodesian ridgeback has managed to tear out a whole toe

Customer Question

My Rhodesian ridgeback has managed to tear out a whole toe nail. Bleeding is slow to stop
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. Ouch! Poor Jasper! Amazingly, these broken and ripped out claws can become a major deal because very easily the toe can become infected and lead to a possible amputation.

Dr. Barbara :

The best thing would be to have your vet see him, clean and bandage his foot, and get him started on a systemic antibiotic. You are doing the correct thing for now. . .wrapping the foot to stop any major bleeding.

Customer: Ok, I've done the right thing in wrapping his foot. Off to vets tomorrow. Many thanks.
Dear Helen,
Thank you so much for your kind rating. . .very much appreciated!
Good luck to you and Jasper!
Dr. Barbara