Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

We have a three month old pure bred limousine calf. He was

Customer Question

We have a three month old pure bred limousine calf. He was perfect up to about 4 weeks ago. He is now not able to get up without assistance. When we lift him up his mother comes and stands beside him and he is able to suckle from her. If you came in to the field and saw him sitting down you would say wow what a super looking calf - but he now just can't get up. His joints are not swollen - but he finds it so hard to try to walk. We would appreciate any help you can give. Our own vets are puzzled by this.

We also have a second calf showing the same symptoms and his the same age.  The first calf is AI and the second by our own stock bull.

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about this calf's condition...There are a few conditions thatcan cause this. The most likely one is White Muscle Disease which causes issues with the legs due to a deficiency of Vitamin E/Selenium. This is treated with BOSE once every 2 days for 2 treatments.This LINK will explain in more detail.

There is also a chance that this calf has been injured when you were not aware that has affected the nerve supply to the legs. This is treated with steroids and antibiotics and possibly splints to keep the ligaments working. If the BOSE does not help, have your vet examinethis calf to be sure we have not missed something....an injury to a disc in his back can block the nerve supply causing these symptoms.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta