Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 8mth springer doodle is pretty obedient at home and has

Customer Question

My 8mth springer doodle is pretty obedient at home and has not one atom of viciousness
In her nature, however ,when she she is walking free and encounters another
Dog she becomes manically,frenzied at play and is totally unresponsive, she boxes with her front paws overwhelms smaller dogs bowling them over during the boisterous play. And is totally out of control.I took her to puppy training, where she did quite well until they were set free at the end of the course when she went berserk bowling all the little puppies over so that we had to take her away from them.I don't know what to do next.Can you advise please?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about Poppy's behavior but this is normal when they are ypoung energetic puppies. The first thing to do is to get a DAP Collar that is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease her anxiety when in contact with other dogs. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.

Next, take her back ot a good obedience school and never allow her off the leash until you can control her. This may take a few weeks to months until Poppy understands that you are the "Alpha Dog" and she will listen to you.

In the meantime, take her for more walks and keep her entertained by playing ball with her and extra attention....at this age, they crave attention, even from other dogs. Getting her worn out will help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Patricia, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your helpful advice,however when I researched into DAB collars it stated that if the dog was displaying behaviour that was not stress related I.e. excitable play and hyperactivity
( which I'm sure was Poppy's case) then DAB would have no effect as it is used to target anxiety and nervousness.
I shall ,however, deploy the rest of your advice
Hopefully yours
Patricia Wright
Thank you Patricia for that information...I have used teh DAP Collars on situations such as Poppy's with some amount of sucess only when there is anxiety....You may be right that it may not be effective in Poppy's case.

Good luck,.,..I havbe no doubt that Poppy will be under control soon with your care and love.