DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

HI, At the point We decided to seek advice about our sixteen

Customer Question

HI, At the point We decided to seek advice about our sixteen yr old cat Purdie, she disappeared into the surrounding fields or wood,never to be seen again? she had lost weight, her urination had increased a lot more than normal,and smelt . She had slept a great deal in winter in front of a nice fire, or in her basket.This was not uncommon, but prior to Her disappearance We discovered She had been climbing into Our cupboard in the lounge,We assumed this was because She was cold(She never liked wind or draughts!!) Absolutely loved laying outdoors in summer, sunbathing.She never wandered far from the House, stopped eating dry cat food last summer, preferring only wet food.And in the past few weeks was rare to see her drink.As mentioned above She started too wander further from the house, and if She realised We had noticed her doing this would run back quick,as if We had caught her out!!She had stopped jumping up on our Knee, still liked to be fussed but had never liked being picked up and cuddled even when young. She never appeared to be in any pain, her stools were normal, in fact She had never had any illness in her entire 16yrs.I feel She did a good job in hiding the fact that She was very poorly judging with what has happened, but We will never know the real truth?We would like to believe She chose to die the way She had lived. Outside in the sunshine, falling asleep ,but on this occasion not too wake. We are devastated at Her loss,like losing a member of the Family. And realise that any response you give ,will not change anything. But I would appreciate having some idea of what may of been wrong with Her, and was her behaviour typical? Many Thanks, Julie.
Expert:  DR.J replied 2 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi Julie , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

first let me say how sorry I am for Purdie's disappearance .

DR.J :

I shall try and give you a quick incite as to what might have occurred with her.

DR.J :

you have mentioned that she has been losing weight , and peeing great amount of bad smelling urine

DR.J :

As well she has refused to eat any of her dry food and you need to give her wet food .

DR.J :

Please hold on for as I shall be right back .

Customer:

yes she had lost a few teeth too.

Customer:

But still ate fresh cooked turkey,chicken,beef and tuna but only in small quantities as it could make her stools a little loose. was sick a little at Christmas, but was only clear fluid, often seen eating grass just lately before her disappearance.

DR.J :

I shall be back ASAP . my system is causing some problems

Customer:

ok.thanks.

DR.J :

Sorry , im back .

DR.J :

Getting back to our former conversation.

DR.J :

The matter at hand is clearly that Purdie has been losing slowly losing weight , which to us signals that something is wrong

DR.J :

wrong on a systemic level meaning that some system might be not functioning very good .

DR.J :

One of the more sensitive systems in the cat is the renal system = the kidneys and they are one of the things us vets suspect has gone wrong the first minuet we see an elderly cat who has been losing weight as well as appetite (or requires changes in diet in order to keep him/her interested in eating) .

DR.J :

I truly feel for the pain you are sensing right now as Purdie is gone from your home and perhaps we shall never know what type of clinical condition has effected her and made her lose weight and act the way she did .

DR.J :

But cast , same as dogs are very noble creatures are gifted with divine understanding of things - far greater then we ever hope to have . They know when time is at an end and so they commence their last journey at the end of which they reach their peace from pain and suffering.

DR.J :

You should not be sad but proud that Purdie knew when her time has come and made that journey , one that many dogs and cat do not get to take as they are euthanized at their vets (only because they are unable to make it further) . She lived a noble life with the people she loved and found a proud way to move on . leaving you with her memory .

Customer:

yes, I understand what you are saying, that without her here we cannot determine truly the extent of her illness. we loved her dearly ,as She loved us in return, and by taking that journey without us was because She had greater insight, and because She could not go with us present.

DR.J :

You are a smart woman Julie.

DR.J :

I hope you will not be in pain for too long and find it in your heart to give you love to another soul in need of a loving home .

DR.J :

I wish you and your family all the best and I am with you in heart and spirit .

DR.J :

I hope I have helped you and will be glad to answer any other question you might have

DR.J :

Please just before you leave our chat - do not forget to rate it :)

DR.J :

Again - I am here if you need any further help .

DR.J :

Dr.J

Customer:

Thank you for your professional help, and kind words.You have helped more than you realise.

DR.J :

I am happy to be of service

DR.J :

And if you need me again. Let me know

DR.J :

Please before you leave. Rate our conversation. Thanks

DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was a unique individual, who would always talk, saying hello when we walked in the room. It will take along time to get used to not having her around.The house feels quiet and empty.She cannot be replaced.If at sometime I change my mind,I know exactly who to turn to for any help in the future.
Thanks again.
Julie
Expert:  DR.J replied 2 years ago.
Dear Julie .

I wish for your sorry to dissipate soon while still respecting and remembering old Purdie.

My your days be always filled with light .

Dr.J