Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog had 3ticks on him a week ago, and now he keeps bringing

My dog had 3ticks on him a week ago, and now he keeps bringing up his food. Could he be I'll, because of the ticks? They have left hard lumps where they bit him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, while we can see tick borne diseases on occasion here in the UK, they do not typically cause GI signs (rather they tend to cause fever, lymph node enlargement, weakness, lameness, flu signs, etc). Still this would be a consideration to keep in the back of our minds if Marmite is unwell. And just to note, the hard lumps will likely be small localized infection where the ticks bite him and let bacteria get into the skin (which usually just take a short course of antibiotics to settle).

Otherwise when we have vomiting arise in our dogs,
this is a vague clinical sign that can occur with a range of conditions. This includes grumbling bacterial infection, viral disease, parasitic infestations, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, cancer, immune mediated sensitivities, metabolic conditions (diabetes, etc), toxin and/or foreign material ingestion. With all this in mind, we would want to make sure we were ruling out these common issues before assuming the ticks are to blame (since they could just be coincidental).

Now as long as can keep water down, you can see if you can settle his stomach at home initially. If he is so nauseous that he cannot keep water down, then that is usually a sign that we will at least need injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet to halt his vomiting. Otherwise, to start,
you can try to settle his stomach by resting it by withholding food for 8-12 hours since the last vomit. He should have access to water at all times, but in small amounts since over drinking can induce vomiting as well.

Once he is a bit more settled, you can consider addressing his nausea and vomiting with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.

If you haven’t seen further vomiting by that point and his antacid has had time to absorb, then I would advise giving him a small volume of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this, (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). These diets are easier for the compromised gut to digest and tend to be better tolerated by animals with GI upset. You want to offer a small amount (1 tbsp) and if he keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the vomiting is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

Now you didn't mention his thirst but this is important to keep an eye on to make sure he is drinking and avoiding dehydration. Further to this, you would also want to check his hydration status. To do so, there are a few things we can test for at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If he is showing those dehydration signs at this point, that is our cue to have him to the vet since oral rehydration can be difficult if they are vomiting.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX you can do to help stave off dehydration at home (though do note that if he is already then he will likely need more the oral rehydration), encourage him to drink by offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. As well, wet foods (as mentioned above) are 35% water, so getting him to eat will help us deal with water intake as well. If he isn't amenable to drinking on his own and still vomiting, then we'd not want to try to syringe any fluids since this would likely lead to more vomiting.

Overall, when an dog starts to vomit profusely we do have to act quickly. They can become dehydrated very easily, which can lead to additional complications (sometimes requiring hospitalisation for IV fluids to get them back on track). Therefore, do check his hydration, consider taking steps to settle his stomach and support his compromised GI. If you do this and he isn’t settling within the next 12-24 hours (since it has been a wee bit already), then you do have to consider those more serious systemic differentials and consider following up with his vet at this stage. The vet will be able to have a feel of his belly for sinister lumps and bumps. They will be able to asses the tick bites, address them, and let you know if you live in a high risk area for tick borne infections. Depending on their findings, you may want to have a blood sample checked and/or have him treated with antibiotics against bacterial gastroenteritis and anti-vomiting medications by injection to help settle his stomach and get him back on track as quick as possible.

Finally since it does sound like Marmite may be quite poorly with this, I do want to note that
veterinary practices in this country are required to have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will have am answering service or answer phone message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. Or if you don't already have a vet, then you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) for an open local clinic or check for your local Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. So, if Marmite is very poorly with this, there are means of having him seen sooner if you wish.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.