Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hello, my male Siamese cat [Neutered] has a constant runny

Customer Question

my male Siamese cat [Neutered] has a constant runny / snotty nose, which he clears by shaking his head, sneezes a lot and wheezes all the time. I understand he has a form of cat flu, and I have been mixing in to his wet food each night 1/8th teaspoon of pure vitamin C and a capsule of L-Lysine [both in powdered form]. Despite recommendations online that this is the 'ultimate' treatment, there seems to be very little, if any, change. I can't afford to have veterinary treatment, so do you have any advise, please. I am getting pressure from my wife to get rid of him because the house is getting covered in snot!!! but he is devoted to me, and hasn't a bad bone in his body!

Please help if you can?

Kindest regards,

Don.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Don and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Prince is suffering from some form of allergic reaction and the treatment you are giving is not enough. Prince needs to also be given an anti histamine such as Benadryl or Diphenhydramine at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This can be purchased at the chemist, Don, in pills or liquid and when added to this concoction you are giving, will decrease this congestion and decrease the mucous being formed.

If this is not enough, Don, your vet may have stronger medications to help Prince past this...don't give up hope yet, Don....we can get sweet Prince past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much,Don, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!