Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my 2yr cat seems to drink a lot of water , feed her a mix diet

my 2yr cat seems to drink a lot of water , feed her a mix diet of canned and dried food should i be worried
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she strictly indoors?
2- Is she spayed?
3- How long since you notice the increase in water consumption?
4- Is she losing weight?
5- Is she on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is sprayed , goes outside , no medication weight the same as her sister no weight lose

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sarah, when a cat drinks more water than usual it is a sign of an underlying medical problem. There are many possible underlying causes. It will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter