Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 16 yr old Lhasa apso is vomiting white mucous foam. Several

My 16 yr old Lhasa apso is vomiting white mucous foam. Several weeks ago he was vomiting white foam and the vet gave him a week's course of antibiotics and some Zantac, and he has been as right as rain since. This evening he has been sick bringing up only which mucous foam - seems to have come on quite quickly. He sleeps most of the day every day. His appetite is fine though at the moment he is not eating. I have Zantac but no point in giving it to him till his tummy settles. Is there anything I can do for now?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet do any testing like blood work and xrays?
2- How often is he vomiting?
3- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - few weeks ago tested for pancreatitis and that was ruled out. Bit high on the white blood cells and so the antibiotics, which worked.

He has been vomiting for the last 1 - 2 hrs and has vomited about 10 times. Still not settled.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Gaylor, as you may already know vomiting is not a disease but a symptom of either problems within the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. If your vet did blood work and found elevated white blood cells they may need to do additional testing like an abdominal ultrasound to take a closer look at what is happening in the gastrointestinal. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do until you follow up in the morning with family veterinarian:

1- Start him on Zantac again, it will help settle his stomach.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter