Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 9 month old cockatoo vomited 6 times in the space of 3

My 9 month old cockatoo vomited 6 times in the space of 3 hours yesterday. Today she has eaten normally but has absolutely no energy at all. She tries to show normal behaviour for a couple of minutes but lies down to rest very quickly. She has not been sick since yesterday
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Cassie is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Is she defecating? If so, is it normal?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you take her rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She did swim in local river 3 days ago. She also drank from a couple of rain puddles. Not aware of her eating anything she shouldn't have. Her stools have been a mixture of normal and runny. She weighs about 7kg. Her gums are pink. I don't have anything to take her temperature,,sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
John, being lethargic is a very non specific symptom and can be related to many different conditions. The fact that she was vomiting and has occassional runny stool we need to consider the gastrointestinal tract as the primary problem. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes would be: An infection, ingestion of a foreign body, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes. Highly recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- Change her diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%); small amounts 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
3- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter