Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi there, Could you please see below the reading of 15 year

Hi there,

Could you please see below the reading of 15 year old chocolate point siamese, what does this indicate?

Result Units Interval
TOTAL T4 < 3.89 nmo1/1 15.0-40.0

Much appreciated!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The normal feline total thyroid hormone level (T4) ranges from 15 nmol/L to 40 nmol/L at the lab at which the test was run. <3.89 nmol/L (less than 3.89 nmol/L), then, is a very low total thryoid hormone level and tells us that Sorvino is hypothyroid. This may be acceptable in cats treated for hyperthyroidism as long as these cats act normal and feel well.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mahalo! Dr Michael Salkin!

Thank you for your expertise....he has lost muscle mass and is not being treated for anything....? What would this signify....age? He has a wild appetite! He has been taking Y/D hills...thrown up alot on it!

Something is amiss. His appetite, vomiting, and wasting indicates hyperthyroidism for which the Y/D has been prescribed yet his T4 reflects hypothyroidism. Ordinarily, a 3.89 would indicate success in treatment yet his symptoms suggest otherwise.

Louella, I need to you to have Sorvino's vet check with the lab. I suspect a lab error. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Sorvino, please?