DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

Recently we have noticed a lump on my hamsters side which didnt

Customer Question

Recently we have noticed a lump on my hamsters side which didn't seem to affect her. Over the last few days she has become less active and today we found her very cold and she wouldn't move until we had warmed her up. Once moving she seems to fall on one side and struggles to get back up. She is still eating but not as much as before.
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

could you please tell me where is this lump located ?

DR.J :

does it have healthy skin above the mass or does it seem wounded

JACUSTOMER-x36lm6fr- : No there is no wound and it's healthy above the lump. It is located on her right side in between her front and back legs. It looks like she has a fat tummy. She is weeing and pooing fine.
DR.J :

Thank you for you answer . this could be one of several things which are worth considering .

DR.J :

1. it could be something that has perforated the skin and settled under it - creating the lump (such as small piece of grass or bedding)

DR.J :

2. could be an abscess which has developed due to an injury or a scratch (specially if you have more then one living together)

DR.J :

3. could be a benign mass - non cancerous tumor which has developed

DR.J :

4. could be a cancerous tumor thou less likely

DR.J :

What needs to be done is to sample is using a needle - this can be done at any vets .

DR.J :

I am sure it would turn out as nothing but I advise to visit your vet to have the lump tested .

DR.J :

I hope this has helped you .

DR.J :

if you have any further questions - please leg me know .

DR.J :

All the best to you both .

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

Hi .. Just wanted to ask how your hamster is doing ?