Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my dog has been limping on her back leg, its worse after exercise

my dog has been limping on her back leg, its worse after exercise and is sometimes stiff after shes been laid asleep on it. she doesn't seem to be in any pain would you recommend I give her supplements to help the healing process? she never limps whilst out walking
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she currently on any medications?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this has been going on a couple of weeks now.

shes not on any medication

she weighs approx 25kg

and no existing medical conditions known. shes fit and well other than this.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
The lameness is always on the same leg?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes always the back right leg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She doesn't ever totally bring her leg up, she always weight bares on it

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Alex, what you are describing is consistent with a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury; supplements like glucosamine will not help. A very common injury to the hind limb in dogs is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). You need to rest her and place her on an anti inflammatory medication. This is what you can try:

1- Rest her for the next 4-6 weeks, no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.
2- Buffered Aspirin 325mg every 12 hours for 7 days. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
3- If you don't see significant improvement within 3-5 days of doing above she should be seen by family veterinarian for an orthopedic examination and xrays as initial screening test. If she does improve continue to rest her as described above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter