Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

hello i wonder if you can advise we have an 11 and a half year

Customer Question

hello i wonder if you can advise we have an 11 and a half year old kelpie who needs bad teeth removing and our vet took a blood sample and rang to say when he goes under the anaesthetic they will have to put him on a drip as he has an inflamed liver with high enzymes and we are wondering should we go ahead with the teeth extraction because of his age he is on antibiotics and dont know if these will clear up liver infection aswell as tooth infection any advice will be very welcome thankyou so much XXXXX XXXXX isle of man
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of the quandary in which you find yourselves with Scout, but it sounds like you're in good hands with a competent veterinarian. The blood in the body passes through the liver, so an infection anywhere can cause the liver enzymes to elevate. Infected teeth may be the original cause, but an infection or infections may be present elsewhere as well. The antibiotics will hopefully bring the infection under control allowing the liver to heal and return to normal. Old dogs livers sometimes show signs of wear an tear from living and elevated enzymes are not an unusual finding. Much depends on the degree of elevation and which enzymes are higher than normal. Your veterinarian can advise to as to the relative risk of proceeding with the dental work. As long as infected teeth and gums are allowed to remain untreated a constant stream of bacteria will be finding their way into Scout's bloodstream and ultimately, liver. Antibiotics are only a temporary help with deep periodontal disease, and bacteria will quickly re-establish themselves once the antibiotics are stopped. If your veterinarian considers Scout a poor anesthetic risk at this time, a second blood test after completion of a course of antibiotics may change his status as the liver recovers. If he continues to be a poor risk, pulse therapy with antibiotics may be suggested. Pulse therapy is the administering of antibiotics on a regular basis from time-to-time (once per month for 7 to 10 days would be a typical therapy regime) to help lower the bacterial population, slow the progression of the disease, and allow Scout a decent standard of living. Having the bad teeth pulled and any necessary additional dental work done is definitely the preferred course of action, but if, in your veterinarian's opinion, that is not advisable, then pulse therapy is another way to help Scout. If you should have further questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dr bob we had a call from our vet and she said we can book scout in when he has been on antibiotics for a week and we must ensure he is on them still when we bring him in we forgot to ask how we give them to him if he isnt allowed food that day will they give him some when we leave him there next week ? thank you so much for your very helpful answer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou so much for your excellent advice dr bob we went ahead with the extractions , scout had 5 teeth out and is now on the mend ,very grateful brenda phillips