DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

hi my chicken looks very unwell, her coup is very enlarged

Customer Question

hi my chicken looks very unwell, her coup is very enlarged and her wings seem to be dragging on the floor, we have only had her two weeks, but have noticed a change in the last two days, also when you hold her and she jumps to the floor she does'nt land on her land on her feet and bangs her head,
Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Ralston. Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, this sounds like crop stasis.

The crop is likely distended with food or possible foreign object. This often happens in new birds that are fed exclussively on seed and bread. It will fill up the crop and distend it to the point where it can't move.

It becomes impacted in the crop. Also, this is known as sour crop sometimes.

A complete list of causes for this would include:
- systemic illness like kidney disease
- foreign bodies below the crop
- heavy metal toxins (usually zinc in birds kept in cages, or water sources), but can also be from foreign body like nail or screw ingestion
- infections causing crop irritation (candida fungus, bacteria)
- dietary - all seed, chronic over feeding

In most of these cases the crop has to be emptied. This is best done by somebody with experience with this, as you could rupture or damage the crop if you attempt it.

You can try at home to give her some canola oil (like 1/2 tablespoon) and soak it in bread if she will eat it. That might help lube her up and get it moving.

Some people have attempted the surgery themselves at home. I do not recommend that. It should be done by a doctor if you want the chicken to live. But, there is information on this online in google if one wanted to see what others have tried.
Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
Hey there,
Just following up on our conversation on Just Answer from yesterday.

Did you have any questions for me? You should feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I don't mind. I'm here to help.

If I have helped don't forget to leave a positive review! :) Otherwise I do not receive credit for helping you.

I might not be online when you return. That's ok. Just leave your question and a message will be sent to me and I will get back to you when I am online again.

Thanks,
DrRalston