Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi there, my cat (male, 6 years old) has been taken to the

Customer Question

Hi there,

my cat (male, 6 years old) has been taken to the vet a few months ago, as he had blood in his urine. It turned out to be a cystitis. The vet precribed Cystaid Plus and it seemed to have gotten better. It is now about 4 months later and I noticed my cat having difficulties going to the toilet - it looked like he was constipated, but he only needed to pee (but obviously couldn't). So I started giving him Cystaid Plus again and he was able to pee again. He has been on one pill a day for around 2 weeks now and I just noticed him going to the litter tray and he couldn't go. He then walked out into the hallway (wooden floors) and did a huge poo on the floor. I'm not really sure if this behaviour is related to cystitis, or whether there could be something else wrong with him?

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Felicitas
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Felicitas, Muffin's history of idiopathic cystitis requires your having him rechecked whenever you see him having difficulty urinating. Stranguria - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine - is pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of idiopathic cystitis - and mustn't be ignored in these cats because should their urethra be obstructed, the failure of urine voiding can result in renal failure within 36 hours. Muffin's defecating as you mentioned is likely to be the result of his straining to urinate rather his being constipated but the point is that we can't take the risk that he was only constipated rather than suffering a blocked urethra. I recommend that you have Muffin checked by his vet at your earliest convenience.

Cystaid Plus contains glucosamine which might be of value in restoring the heath of Muffin's bladder but isn't considered part of acute therapy. The current standard of care for these cats is feeding wet food only - not necessarily a special urinary health diet - which then dilutes their urine and hence dilutes toxic substances in the urine that may be irritating the mucous membrane of the bladder.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to Muffin's vet.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Muffin, please?