Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my dog is springer spaniel x standard poodle. he is very energetic.

my dog is springer spaniel x standard poodle. he is very energetic. but yesterday he stopped eating. when he went to the poo it was diarehha and there was a bit of blood. his eyes look in pain. and now he is shaking a bit and doesn't like me touching his tummy. I gave him some rice with scrambled egg, but he threw it up in the night and there was a bit of blood in his sick. he's not interested in walkies and is walking real slow when I take him.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know. he quite often eats dodgy things, which I'm unaware of. he will kill and eat rabbits and pheasants. and if there is a rabbit with horrid eyes he will eat that. I don't know how much he weighs but he is very healthy springer spaniel x standard poodle, so Labrador kind of size. I was only at the vet last week as he had a dodgy hip. they gave me some medicine because he was in pain, and he started walking properly again. I thought I would continue the medicine until it was all gone. then I noticed on the package to stop if vomiting which he has done now. the lady on the counter said it was a bit like calpol. don't know the name, thrown it away now.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Is the name Carprofen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm really sorry I don't know. I'm not sure if this is connected or not. seems that, that problem as passed. this is not so nice though

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Louise, when we see blood in the vomit and stool it is safe to assume there is ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract. Certainly, there are medications that can cause ulceration. But, there are many other causes like: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease. Highly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian as soon as you can.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he's refusing to eat though, so can't give him chicken and rice. he's still drinking and wee-ing normally

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Stop the water as described above and give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Start him on Zantac as described. Then, after fasting as described above offer food.